a little [response] story [by association].
in the beginning
the hacker crackdown
In the beginning there were only people. However, among these people, there were some who were later called inventors. Throughout time their inventions brought progress to people’s lives, moving them from a state of complete (and literal) darkness to a state of high-speed interconnectivity. Devices such as electric light, telephone, radio, television, computer and internet impacted people everywhere. Everywhere people recognize these devices as technological improvements. After some time, people and technology began to interact. This interaction is frequently improved in order to optimize the communication between men and machines (this communication is made through what people call interface). Intuitive and easy-to-learn interfaces helped integrate men and machines even more. As time passed by, technology was absorbed into people’s lives in such a way that it became indispensable or, to some people, even a kind of external extension of themselves [the can’t-live-without kind of thing].
It’s amazing to see how things evolve. I still remember when we had to write a command line on the black OS screen. It was so wild to see the following lines coming after your command! It was sensational. However, the GUI brought a new dimension of interactivity.
On the readings and on our discussion on class, it was not totally clear for me what exactly can be defined as an interface. It is not just a matter of terminology, but if I think of the expression graphic interface the idea clarifies in my mind. This clarification disappears to the thought that a trigger or a steering wheel can also be interfaces. I understand why they are interfaces, but I then begin to wonder what else in the physical world can be an interface as well. Hope I can really understand and incorporate these ideas of interfaces to apply them in my design.
Friday, September 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment