September 26
The Language of the new media
Lev Manovich
Intro to chapter 2
I’m amazed to see how some things evolve from others. It’s all based on previous principles. For example, motion movies evolved from photographic principles. It’s like one always has to look back [and learn something] to move forwards. This full circle that appears in so many things, that I might begin a list just for curiosity. As I mentioned before, the desire to create illusionistic realism on 2D surfaces date before Brazil was even discovered! [1500AD]. Now computer people want to do the same with us.
In the book, Manovich highlights some technical evolutions that were inspired on some previous device. It made me think. Think about the screen [and its origin]. Think about the cinema and how people [or at least one man] in the early 1920s wanted to show life in a different way [but I guess people thought he was too avant-garde]. Manovich made me think of the things that I dream of and that might become true someday, such as teletransportation [it has always fascinated me]. He made me think of the little details that might serve for greater things in the future, for example the canvas’ most used orientation that inspired the primitive and current screens formats.
Regardless the importance given to details or the years spent to come up with something [that would look] fresh, it’s very interesting to know the stories behind the happenings and to see that the full circle thing is a strong concept [since it’s been on my mind for years]. It’s good to be living in a time where “new” things are released all the time. These new things will definitely have a little more of my attention from now on, because I want to be aware of what is coming around again!
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment